Licensing & Permitting
- A contractor or subcontractor who holds a license under the Maryland home improvement law is not required to hold a construction license issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court. (www.marylandtaxes.com)
- New home builders must register with the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General. (www.oag.state.md.us)
- Contractors must display their home improvement license number on all their home improvement contracts, trucks, and advertisements.
- Home improvement contracts cannot require the payment of more than one third of the total contract price at the time of signing the contract.
- Arbitration clauses in contracts must be clearly disclosed and initialed by both parties.
- Licensees must notify the Executive Director of the Commission within 10 days of a change of address, trade name or ownership of the business by certified mail, return receipt requested.
- Checks sent to the commission with applications go directly to a bank due to auditing requirements. A cancelled check is not proof of licensure. Only the hard copy of the actual license is proof of licensure.